Friday, August 26, 2011

The C word has come into public discourse like never before.Sports icons one with Team Anna/Since corruption affects everyone

Sports icons one with Team Anna

TNN | Aug 27, 2011, 05.17AM IST


Anna Hazare on the eleventh day of his hunger strike at Ramlila Maidan in New Delhi on Friday.

Since corruption affects everyone, even sportspersons are not immune to it. Thanks to Anna Hazare's movement, the C word has come into public discourse like never before. TOI spoke to several top sports stars about their own experiences with graft, corruption in Indian sports and how they viewed Anna's historic battle. Here's what they said.

In Pics: Sports icons one with Team Anna

Milkha Singh, athletics legend

When I first tried to join the Army as a soldier in 1948, I was rejected because I didn't have money or the pull. The same thing happened again in '49 and '50. Then my brother who was serving in the British Army came down and met the concerned official and gave him gifts comprising ghee, wheat and stuff and thus I got selected in 1951. Even in those days, nothing worked without bribes.

Corruption is always there in Indian sports whether it is the selection of teams for tours or competitions. They take money even at the school level.

I'm very happy that Anna is doing this against corruption. I come from a village and there I know the officials take a cut even from the government grants of Rs 50,000 (for the marriage of girls) and Rs 1 lakh (to convert a mud house into a brick one). Only a small portion of these grants finally reach the citizens. I'm always with Anna. I'm happy with the government response now. Corruption is not going to finish but something will come out of this.

V Baskaran, hockey stalwart

I fully support Anna Hazare's stand. Corruption is there everywhere and it's rampant in sports too. The biggest example in recent time was CWG. From distribution of national awards to zonal selections, corruption plays a big role. If somebody like Rajinder Singh Jr gets the prestigious Dronacharya Award, what will you call it? We all know what his contribution in hockey is.

There is a stale system in place for a long time which has ruined the career of innumerable talented players. We must abolish that and have a new system which is transparent. Moreover, if you want to eradicate corruption, accountability in every sport is a must.

Anju Bobby George, long jump ace

When I first applied for a job under sports quota I heard several stories about my fellow athletes having to pay bribe to get appointment. If you ask about corruption in Indian sports I think it may be there but I don't have any personal experience.

Anna's movement is good but is not fair for Team Anna to insist that all their demands should be accepted without any debate in Parliament. I haven't supported it. On government's reaction, I think it has erred but again dialogue is the only way out.

There is no doubt that this movement has done a great thing by creating awareness about corruption among the citizens.

Samaresh Jung, top shooter

There have been lot of incidents where I was expected to pay but I didn't pay and still got the work done as I was ready to wait. One of the reasons for the bribe culture is that no one wants to wait. Or else you want to get something done which is not proper. Ask about corruption in Indian sports and I just saw that in the Commonwealth Games. We should fight corruption and it was needed to show that people are fed up with corruption at every level. You need not suffer it to support it. I agree with some of their (Team Anna's ) views. And I think the government should have done something earlier. They could have handled it better. The fallout is that we see a lot of people united. It has helped the people across the country to show how much they are concerned about corruption.

Jyoti Randhawa, golf star

It's time that people change their mindset and nail corruption. What Anna Hazare is doing is beyond common man's imagination and the entire nation is with him, including me. Corruption has entered our everyday life and there have been several instances when a Rs 100 or 200 bribe has helped me get back my license and evade penalty after breaking traffic rules.

People like Anna have seen this happen for years. Jan Lokpal Bill is the first step to put brakes on the menace. However, this is not going to happen overnight. What is happening is tough for the government to accept at such a short notice. It will take at least three to four months before the Lokpal Bill becomes a law, as it needs to go through a certain constitutional process. It has to happen some day and I want this to happen while Anna is alive. I don't want to see him die for this. I thank god that there is no corruption in professional golf in this country. But, surprisingly, the Indian Golf Union (IGU), which takes care of amateur golf, has not been able to maintain transparency in administrative matters as they used to while I was in the junior ranks.

K Ravi Kumar, top weightlifter

I'm in support of Anna Hazare. What he is doing is right. Corruption needs to be rooted out. People being part of any public service or politics should be made accountable. Anna is fighting for the entire country and the government should act fast on the Lokpal Bill. I don't know much about the differences in the government's version and the draft bill of the Anna group, but I am sure that what they demand is total transparency in governance and that is the need of the hour.

However, I must say that I have not been asked for any bribes or encountered corruption in my life as I hail from an Army family. But I am sure that civilians must be facing it everyday or why would so many people be fasting or standing in Ramlila Grounds to support Anna. I hope that both parties find a solution on how to end corruption.

Dhanraj Pillay, hockey legend

Personally I've never felt the need to bribe. The fact that people recognize me helps. But corruption in sports is as blatant as any other strata of our society. The only saving grace is that players are not corrupt. It is these administrators who are corrupt. I remember when I was playing for the country, our allowances were sometimes not paid. These politicians are responsible. The government's response is saddening. Imagine a man in his seventies is lying down in the middle of a maidan without eating and drinking. How can these hard-skinned people even see him in such apathy. The movement spearheaded by Anna will definitely have positive results. But people in the Lokpal panel should be household names and should be respected senior citizens of this country.

Ronjan Sodhi, ace shooter

I'm absolutely against corruption and I'll do whatever I can to promote the cause. It's the duty of each one of us to ensure it doesn't happen. Even though I have had no personal experiences, I have known from various sources that corruption does exist in sporting circles. We can only hope that the Anna movement would improve the existing scenario. But you can't change the world in a day. The government needs time. Whatever happens, it should pave the way for a better India. Let's wait and watch.

Manoj Kothari, cuesports great

It's not just about those that take bribe; there are also those that give it. People hand bribes to expedite a process or to gain undue favour. Fortunately, I haven't had to face such a situation yet. While corruption in sports has made headlines in recent times, it's not that rampant in dayto-day activities of Federations, who have both power and scope to conduct their affairs smoothly. I definitely support Anna's movement but one fear is that every party is out to make political gains. Even after the adoption of the bill, so many questions will remain unanswered. And, of course, its implementation will be a whole new ball game.

Yasin Merchant, snooker legend

I've had to bribe an officer on more than one occasion. Can you get anything done in this country without 'speed money' ? You feel disgusted about it, but that is the 'fuel' that drives India.

Since I play an individual sport, the selection process is pretty fair. But I am sure that in team events, it must be happening. Regarding awards, I have personally experienced dismay at having been at the receiving end when some less deserving people have managed to jump the queue. It surely is a result of some form of corruption.

Whatever Anna Hazare is doing is probably right, but I feel that holding the government to ransom is not in the best interests of the country. His cause is good, but the method is questionable. Regarding the mobilisation of thousands of youth in the country, who go around sporting 'I am Anna' caps, I think that this is purely a tamasha. I would like to ask all those supporting the movement, would they be willing to pay the full fine when stopped on the road by a traffic cop? Would they be willing to obey rules always?

If you want to support Anna's cause, then you should obey the law and if you get caught flouting it, then pay the penalty. Not take out morcha.

Whether Anna's movement will have any impact on the future governance of India is anybody's guess, but given the track record of all us Indians, all I can say 'Hum Nahin Sudhrenge'.

Baichung Bhutia, football icon

Thankfully, I've never had to bribe anybody to do anything. Maybe because I got pretty popular at a young age. But not all are so lucky. I have heard of horror stories that my acquaintances have gone through. The best part of Anna Hazare's movement has been the spread of awareness. I won't be able to judge the political fallout of the whole thing but the spontaneous protest has really moved me. I have not been able to join it personally, like many of my fraternity, but our support will always be there for the cause. This is one movement where poeple's participation has been across political colours. It is a common man's movement for a common cause.

I have always maintained sports is part of public life and has to have transparent management to improve.

MC Mary Kom, boxing champion

I hate corruption. There should be no scope for corruption and politics in sports. How can athletes improve and give results if corruption is there. I am not aware of Anna Hazare, but I think there should be no politics. Personally, neither have I been asked for bribe nor have I seen any official demanding bribe from other boxers.

Richa Mishra, swimming star

I'm happy the way things are. I haven't faced any corruption. However, I do support Anna. It's not just his voice but it's public opinion. He is not alone in this agitation. The government is being ziddi. I'm not sure what the outcome would be but let's hope something positive happens. Black money should be bought back to benefit Indians.

No comments: